Monday, June 11, 2012

DIY Faux Metal Industrial Letters

Last week I showed you how I had spruced up the dresser in the master bedroom (see more about that here), and I promised I'd show you how I did the industrial looking letters.



I started with these cardboard forms from Hobby Lobby.  Originally $2.47 each, but they were on a 50% off sale that week.



I used a variation of the faux galvanizing technique from the Ikea kitchen canisters makeover.  I experimented on the back of them until I came up with the look I was going for.  

I started out by painting the entire thing with the Gun Metal Gray metallic paint.




Then I used a sea sponge type of thing and randomly sponged black all over.




I didn't get a good picture of this last step because the paint was drying so fast on that cardboard that I had to work quickly to achieve the look I wanted.  But I mixed a little regular gray craft paint in with the metallic paint and lightly smudged that all over (working in small areas at a time).  Then I used a damp paper towel to work it into the textures and to also remove some of it.  This left some areas with a bit of a dull aged appearance, and some areas still had some shine to it from the metallic paint.  




I finished them off by very lightly brushing some Burnt Sienna craft paint on to the edges to give the appearance of rust.







In this side shot you can really see how there was a bit of shine left in some areas.  I think that helps lend to the authenticity of them.



Pretty easy to do and total cost was $2.47 for two of them since I already had all the paint.




I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and if you use it for a project of your own be sure and let me know.  I'd love to see how it turns out!

(Tutorial of the topiaries can be seen HERE)

                                            


Linking up to:

12 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    You really have a knack for painting! I love the galvanized canisters too. I've spent the morning looking at your blog, luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I was loving your letters in the last post, but had no idea how doable they really are - thanks for sharing you tips! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, incredible transformation! Those metal letters are so expensive at the flea market by us. Certainly more than the couple dollars you paid for them! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These wall arts are beautiful and they fill a house with positive energy. I loved your choice. I’m always looking for cool new ideas for wall art. I m totally inspired with your work. Thank you for sharing this.
    Metal letters for sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. All metal letters are very nice. It is very awesome and fantastic to decorate many thing. I really like it. keep sharing more post like this.

    metal letter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve been wanting to try to make metal letters, I can’t believe how well the spray paint looks like metal. Love how they turned out! Thanks for sharing got an idea now.
    Stainless steel signs

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have discussed an interesting topic that every body should know. Very well explained with examples. i have found a similar website3d lettering signage visit the site to know more about singking blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article.Like your ideas!!All metallic letters are very nice and awesome. All are fabulous. It is very nice to create new things. I’m a long time reader but I’ve never been compelled to leave a comment. Brilliant job Thank you.keep sharing more post like this.

    steel letters

    ReplyDelete
  9. All metal letters are very nice. It is very awesome and fantastic to decorate many thing. I really like it. keep sharing more post like this. I’ve been wanting to try to make metal letters, I can’t believe how well the spray paint looks like metal. Love how they turned out! Thanks for sharing got an idea now.
    metal letter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing us with us which are unique. The collection and varieties are attractive we also need some tips present this types and i also want to share the things related to this hope i think which will be useful.
    Sign Board Manufacturers in Chennai
    Sign boards chennai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for presenting us the wonderful session this post is very helpful for me to understand and now i have some clear clarification
    Sign Board Manufacturers in Chennai
    Sign boards chennai

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...