Friday, November 14, 2014

Farmhouse Fall Decor {Part 2}

 So...I finished up a project this week that I am SO excited to share with you!  I can hardly wait, but wait I must because it was a Christmas project and I never did finish showing you my fall decor in the dining room and kitchen so I feel I need to do that first.  


On the table I have a set of place mats that I thrifted years ago.  We alternate between these and a pretty fall tablecloth that I also thrifted.  When the 4 year old spills something (and he always does) then we switch them out.  I also have a cute little leaf S&P shaker set given to me by a friend a few years ago, along with a fall themed silverware caddy.  Though we're using it to hold napkins and seasonings that Hubs likes left on the table.


Behind the table in the buffet area I hung my fall picture I love so much.  Of course,  I love old red trucks for sure, but it's also really special because it belonged to my grandparents before they passed away and the truck has the name of the town where they lived on it.


The plaid runner was thrifted a couple of years ago.  It was actually just a strip of fabric that I turned into a valance to use in our 2nd bathroom at our last house.  In this house I don't have any place to use it as a valance so I simply folded it in half and used it as a runner.  I added the Rub-N-Buff made over candleholders set and some pillar candles with a bit of moss around them.  I really wanted to find pretty fall candles to put in these, but I couldn't find just the right ones like I had in mind.  I already had these ivory colored ones so I ended up using those instead and just added a bit of twine and an old key to make them a little more interesting and a little less "vanilla."  : )


Here's a reminder of what these candleholders looked like before.


A bit of silver Rub-N-Buff and then some Spanish Copper over top of that gave them a perfectly aged looking patina.  A 5 minute project with wonderful results.


My $1 rusty rooster makes his appearance again.  I love this little guy!  
Some faux bittersweet tucked in around it finishes it off.


I tucked in a berry vine around my Mason jars that are lined up in the big dining room window.


Above the kitchen cupboards I added a few touches of fall as well.


This end has a Pilgrim couple that my mom gave me and one little faux gourd.


In the middles hangs a vintage looking sign that I got several years ago, probably from Home Goods.


On this end, I took away the little stack of towels on the scale and added a small faux pumpkin, and I replaced the bright red geraniums with a fall colored bouquet.


The cookie bucket belonged to my granny back in the day and my mom just gave it to me recently.


Beside the sink I have this little touch of autumn.


It's a vintage potato masher.  
I added a small berry vine around it and tucked in a tiny little jar candle. 


Above the sink in the window I have this little arrangement.  I took the picture in the dark because it looked so cozy with the candle lit.


I keep this little feeder jar that my sister found at a thrift store on the counter within easy reach.  We added some candy corn to it for fall, and then for Christmas we'll change it out to some green and red M&M's.  Ain't it so cute?!?

And then I just had to show you our painted pumpkins from this year.  In my last post I shared a picture of our pumpkins from last year, but I never did show you this year's.  My daughter decided she wanted to make hers a minion this time around.  Well, when my son heard that he decided he wanted his to be Gru.  So, then we decided well if we have two Despicable Me pumpkins then we might as well go ahead and do all of them as characters from those movies.  So here's what we came up with.




This yellow minion pumpkin is my daughter's.  I drew in the parts for her and she did all the painting.  We glued on canning jar lids as his goggles.


Here's Gru, done by my 4 year old.  He painted the whole thing pinkish, I drew in his main parts and he painted them, and then I finished off a few of the details of the eyes for him.  I molded his nose out of Play-Dough and we attached it with a skewer.  A thrifted scarf finished him off.


The kids decided that mine should be a purple minion.  I found this fuzzy purple hat at a thrift store for $1.  I tucked the brim under and it made for the perfect crazy purple hair for it.


We all decided that Hub's had to be an El Macho pumpkin since Hubs has a big mustache, too.  :D  It ended up that he was too busy to paint his pumpkin this time around so I did it for him.  I thought it turned out pretty cute.  :)

 This last picture has nothing to do with decor, but I wanted to share one more thing with you.  We hosted a fall festival on Halloween night at our house for our church's youth group and one of the things I did was to make this Pumpkin Puke chip dip.


It was just spinach dip, and I wasn't sure how the kids would react to it but they loved it and thought it was the coolest thing ever and gobbled it right up to the last scrapings.  Brave bunch.  :)

That's it for my fall posts for this year.  Later today I'm off for my weekend trip to Mt. Dora, FL for the Renninger's Antique and Flea Market Extravaganza.  I am SO very excited to be going again!  I went about 5 years ago with Hubby for my birthday, and it was 8 solid hours of walking to booth after booth after booth and we didn't even get to them all!  This year I'm going with my mother-in-law, just us girls, no men, no kids, for 2.5 days.  It's in celebration of both of our birthdays this month and it's gonna be some serious junkin' fun!!!  

And when I get back from that.....the Christmas decor is coming out!  I am so excited for Christmas this year for some reason.  I just love love love it and it never lasts long enough for me.  So this year I'm breaking my rule of waiting until after Thanksgiving to decorate and we're gonna get our jingle on a couple of weeks early.  I can't wait!!

How about you?  Are you already decorating for Christmas?   Or are you a die hard for waiting until Thanksgiving is over?  Has anybody else ever been to the Mt. Dora Extravaganza?
I'd love to hear from you!

                                                                 

14 comments:

  1. I have never seen such amazing pumpkins. I am so copying the potato masher idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the pumpkin truck above the buffet!!! And the old key is the perfect touch for that candle! My SIL gave me an antique potato masher last Christmas, and I haven't been able to figure out how to incorporate it until now :). Thank you for the idea! Aaaaannnd, I've gleaned tons from this post. My hubby likes to have certain seasonings on the table also, but I always feel I am moving them repeatedly to clean or set the table for meals. Your idea of keeping them in the napkin holder seems like the perfect solution! Yay! Hubby likes to wait until the day after thanksgiving to decorate for Christmas, but things are always so hectic and busy by then, I have trouble getting it all up just right. So, my mom is coming Monday to help me get everything decorated and set up. I am SO excited!!!! I can't wait to see your Christmas post for more ideas :)!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your décor with us.....Im so doing the potato masher idea!!!....and the chicken feeder candy holder!!!!!....HAPPY THANKSGIVING and can't wait to see your Christmas decorations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your Fall decor looks so pretty. I have the same cookie bucket.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great...The pumpkins are so cute. I would love to be as talented as you are with decorating pumpkins, I get as far as removing the tops and that's about it...lol..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so great. You have a flair for decorating & painting! I pinned your potato masher idea. I hope your trip to FL is terrific with lots of found bargains & R&R. Christmas does not go up until the day after Thanksgiving here. I love Christmas, but fall season is my #1 favorite, & I always hate to see it end. I did buy a new pre-lit pencil tree last week, so I am looking forward to 2 rooms with trees this year. I look forward to seeing your Christmas decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stephanie, I get so excited when I see your blog post come to my email, I love your blog! Those pumpkins are amazing! I can't wait to see all your finds from the Flea Market. Hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie! Just came across your blog - your blog name is certainly true! Your home is so cozy!
    I have enjoyed your photos and decorations! Those pumpkins are awesome!
    Have a fun weekend!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what I like about your posts? Everything has a story behind it. Love, love the history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People should know these tips because you have great content! Thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just keep on going dude. Check over here:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its a great pleasure read this post. Awesome! Its full of information here

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff post. keep it up. Its greatt

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so awesome! Your writing has helped me a lot, thankyou!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...