Tuesday, October 28, 2014

How to Get the Most Out of Your Fall Pumpkins

This week I've been helping my kiddos paint their pumpkins.  It's a yearly tradition that we do instead of carving them, partly because we don't really celebrate Halloween so carving them into scary faces is kind of pointless.  We like to do happier and more creative things with them.  But also because the pumpkins last a whole lot longer this way.  Once they're carved they start rotting and only last a few days and that seems like a waste of money to me.  Keeping them whole makes them last quite a long time.

So, I got to thinking about what we did with ours last year and how I got my money's worth out of them and I decided some of you might like these ideas, too.

So here's what we did last year.


Sometime in October we have a family night and we break out the paints and brushes and go to town creating faces (or in the case of the 3 year old's pumpkin, lots of random colors mixed everywhere).  : ) The kids loved my Mike Wyzowski pumpkin and that inspired them to want to do a whole set of Despicable Me characters this year.

Three out of the 4 pumpkins were still good by Thanksgiving time in November so I spray painted one of them white and we toted it along on our trip to visit family.


I took a permanent marker and set it up in my mom's living room and it became our "thankful pumpkin."  Throughout the day everyone wrote something they were thankful for and signed their name.  It was really fun to turn it around and around and read what everyone added.  I made sure to take a picture of each side to help us remember.

By December we were down to 2 pumpkins that were still good so I let the kids paint them again and this time they turned them into "snowmen."


The 3 year old's looked a little more like a melting snowman, lol!  : )

If we had enough pumpkins that were still good we may have tried this stacked snowman from Sweet Pepper Rose.  Isn't he adorable?


Here's another cute Christmas pumpkin idea from Club Chica Circle that I like. 
 (They also have a cute idea in that same post about using "snow" paint to do a snowman pumpkin.  We might try that one this year.)


You could even do the ornaments first for December and if your pumpkins are still going strong you could do the snowmen for January.  

So there ya have it.  Just a quick post to give you some ideas on how to get the most out of your fall pumpkins.  Not only are you getting your money's worth out of them, but it makes the fun last that much longer, too.  

Do you guys have any additional creative ideas on how to repurpose your fall pumpkins?  
I'd love to hear about it!


                                                               

9 comments:

  1. I really liked the painting the pumpkins to look like snowmen. :) That is a GREAT idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always seem to have a bunch of pumpkins left after Thanksgiving. I can't wait to paint them and turn them into snowmen. What a priceless idea! So much fun and keeps the festivity of pumpkins going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! I bought the "permanent" ones from the craft store to make mine last a lot longer than one year, but this would be a good substitute for a real one, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, where are the Despicable Me pumpkins?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Searching for a great site. I was so impressed to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will probably give me ideas for my work. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to read this post, it’s an impressive piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...