I've been focused on my Etsy shop and just life in general these past couple of weeks, so I don't have anything new to blog about yet, BUT...the other day I realized I have never shared my daughter's bed makeover here on this blog. It was one of the first makeovers I did for her room and I shared it on our family blog last year, but hadn't posted it here since I started this one.
This is what her room looked like for her first few years of life.
It was adorable and I loved it, but as she got older she was outgrowing the nursery decor and needed an updated room. She love love loves the color pink and I eventually decided to go with a Shabby Chic theme that could grow with her for a few more years.
In my "hunting and gathering" phase of getting ready for this room makeover, I searched and searched Craigslist and thrift stores for the perfect bed. But it was so hard! Everytime I thought I'd found the perfect one either it was already sold, the seller never responded to my inquiry, or it was too expensive. Then I came across this one that an acquaintance was selling. I almost passed it up without a second glance thinking it was not a pretty sight. But then I pictured it white, shabbied up, and with a little extra detailing to make it more feminine and realized that underneath that dark wood ugliness, it really did have great lines. Perfecto! At last I'd found a bed for her.
(Notice that original beadboard we had in that house?!? I miss it SO much!)
I sanded it down a bit, bought a $4 scrolly thing (that's the technical name) and epoxied it on. This was when we still lived on the ranch in Florida, so our nosy horses had to check it all out, sniff it, bite it, and knock it over while I was trying to prime it. (I miss them SO very much too!)
All primed, but not yet "shabbied" up.
And here it is after some distressing with sandpaper. I decided I didn't necessarily want it to have a "discolored" aged look, so I didn't glaze it. I wanted it to be white and just have a shabby/chippy look, but I still wanted to emphasize the details in the scrolly thing a bit more. So I used a very fine paint brush with some black paint and filled in the lines here and there to make it stand out more.
Once we got moved into our current house I got all the bedding ordered and we were able to put it all together finally. It was the perfect fit!
So that was my first furniture makeover for her new big girl Shabby Chic room.
I'm still trying to get more Etsy stuff done, but I'll be back again soon, I promise.
Sharing over at: