Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Very Froggy 2nd Birthday

This week was my lil' man's 2nd birthday.  It was supposed to be his turn to have a big party this year since his sister had her turn last year with her Pinkalicous party.  I was planning {in my mind} a really cute construction themed birthday, BUT...I changed my mind.  I just wasn't feelin' it.  I've been very homesick for our family and the thought of a big party without them there was just too depressing, so I didn't go through with it.

Instead, we celebrated with just the 4 of us.  He loves frogs and green is his favorite color, so that's what I went with.


He has a little collection going on of stuffed frogs he's found at yard sales this summer, so I put those on the table as part of the decor.  I found cute plates at Hobby Lobby, and the rest came from good ol' Walmart.



I made him a froggy pancake for breakfast that morning.


And then later in the day we had a froggy cake.  Now, I know I have a severe lack of cake decorating skills and I would love to take a class someday, but for now this was the best I could do.  He seemed to really like it so that was enough for me.  : )


I used one round cake for the head, and two cupcakes for the eyes.  I carved out little areas for the cupcakes to fit onto the head better and not be completely separate.  Then I just used Oreo cookie halves with an M&M stuck in them for the eyes. 


 I stuck them in at an angle so they'd be a little bit 3D-ish.


So hard to believe my sweet boy went from being just 6 hours old in this picture...


...to being a 2 year old toddler already!  
And the sweetest, funniest, goofiest little boy at that!

                                     

6 comments:

  1. I don't think you need cake decorating classes....you did an excellent job!!...I love his party theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great mom you are! You did a fantastic job with the decorations, the pancake (!), and the cake!! I think your little guy is lucky to have such a loving, caring mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is the sweetest party. And at that age, they don't even have to have a big party to enjoy it all! The cake looks great to me....better than I could do....and the pancake is just the cutest thing! From the smile from your little man, I think he loved it! Happy belated birthday to him!

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Decorating cakes is definitely not my forte, and so I'm pretty much in awe of what you did here! Don't our precious bundles grow up just way too fast? Happy birthday to your little guy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute!!! Happy Birthday to the little frogman!!
    I'm sorry you can't get together with all of your family. I would be so homesick...I love having most of my family within an hour or two.
    Blessings to you and a big hug,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing the cake recipe! My son, Xander, will be turning 2 in a week or so, and we already decided on a frog theme. (F.R.O.G. means Fully Rely On God to us. My son's birth was a miracle many times over, as I was told at one point that I couldn't have kids... that I was too old... etc. yet he is normal and we went full-term!) Zany Xander is an outgoing little charmer, much like your son seems to be. Thanks to you, I now have a plan for his cake!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...