Monday, July 7, 2014

Simple Patriotic Decor & Table Setting

I know July 4th is already over and most bloggers share their tablescape pictures a month in advance so as to give their readers ideas to copy, BUT....I didn't really know what my table and dining room would look like until about an hour before it was time to eat.  So...you're getting pictures after the fact.  : )

My sister and her family came to stay with us a few days and we all celebrated together.  
I kept the decor really simple, but it felt festive and fun just the same.


You might have noticed the curtains.  Those are new.  I finished making them a few weeks ago, but I hadn't shared them yet.  I love them!  They add so much life and color to the room, and it's nice to be able to block out the hot sunlight.  You might have also noticed the buffet.  I've never shared it either.  It's a dresser that I found on Craigslist and I talked the guy down to $60 for it.  This is its "before" look.  I have plans to change it up.  You can also see that we are still using a plastic folding table as our dining room table.  But that won't be for much longer.  Last week I scored a table for FREE as well as the two darker wooden chairs you see.  It needs a makeover, but I hope to get it done soon so we can eat at a real table again.


For the table setting I used a plastic tablecloth from Walmart, then folded a small gingham tablecloth that I already had and laid it across the middle.  The wooden box napkin holder is always on our table.  I didn't bother with a centerpiece.  I used our everyday white plates and our everyday flatware (that I've had for 12 years!) and just bought small flag themed dessert plates to put in the middle.  My sister brought the cute colorful napkins.


Next to the adult table I set up a kids table, with paper straws as a quick and easy centerpiece.


I already had the game board, pitcher, and rooster set up.  
I just added a few paper decorations from the dollar store.


The game board was a yard sale find from a couple of years ago, and the pitcher was a recent thrift store find for $1.99.


My rusty rooster has made his return finally.  He was a $1 yard sale find a couple of years ago as well.  
I love him with much love!


Above the table I hung two more paper thingy-ma-bobs from the ceiling fan chains.  You can see my collection of aqua Mason jars in the window in the background.  You can also see raindrops on the glass.  Just as I started taking pictures the clouds rolled in and it started to pour.  My husband had just started grilling too.  I did the best I could with the lighting I had, and he still turned out some yummy hot dogs and hamburgers even though he says he risked his life by grilling in a storm.  : )


Festive colorful decor doesn't have to be complicated or expensive.  Quick, easy, and cheap can still look great and it leaves you plenty of stress-free time to enjoy the day.

My sister and her daughter have stayed on a few extra days and while the cousins are having a blast playing their hearts out together, my sister is helping me finish up some painting projects around the house.  It'll feel good to have a few more things finished up!

                                                                     

2 comments:

  1. I love it! That dresser is perfect. Please do share about that, your table and those pretty curtains as well. You have been holding out on us ;-) Hope you had a wonderful 4th!

    Have a blessed Tuesday...
    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - I love your buffalo check red curtains! :-) I so wanted to do the same in my dining room, but felt like I already had so much red that I went with the tan buffalo check and ended up like them a lot! But yours are just so cheerful and happy! And your aqua mason jars? I LOVE! - Dori -

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...