Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Farmhouse Fall Decor

Well, I figured it was about time I got around to sharing my fall decor with y'all.  If I don't do it now it'll be time for Christmas decor before I ever get it around to it.  

I didn't spend nearly as much time on it this year as I normally do.  Usually my method is to open up my tubs of decor and spread it all around to see what I have and then I work on it bit by bit over the course of an entire week trying to get it just right.  But this year was different.  For starters I now only have one tub of stuff versus the three I used to have.  Before we moved from Ohio I did a major purge and consolidated it down to only one large Rubbermaid tub.  So I didn't have as much to work with, but also I just didn't feel like agonizing over it for a whole week.  I pretty well just reused some of the same ideas I've done in the past, just changing them slightly, and didn't bother with a whole lot of second guessing myself and I had it done in 2 days.  Like it or lump it, but it's finished.  : )



Let's start with the shelf above the couch.  I normally put this large berry wreath on the front door, but this year I decided to keep inside instead.  Looking back through my fall decor pictures I realized I had never hung it above this shelf so I went for it.


I added in my 2 frames of free fall art from a couple of years ago.  They're just magazine pages that I liked.  I loved my crochet thread pumpkins so much from 2 years ago that I decided to use them again.  I also layered in a small berry sprig to add a little more interest.  And did you notice what's tucked in and peeking out from behind that berry sprig?


Scrabble tiles spelling out "autumn."  They're just simply resting on the edge of the frame.  I love that it's sort of unexpected and you'll only notice it if you're looking closely.


In the middle there's an old book that had a nice coordinating color, a vintage wooden folding ruler, and topping it off is a brown glass electric insulator.


This end of the shelf has a jar full of my wooden spool collection, and a rusty looking pumpkin candle holder I got at a Goodwill a couple of years ago.  And did you notice something hanging from one of the pegs on the shelf?


A little group of old keys.  
Why you might wonder?  Because I found them laying around and decided I wanted them there.  That's why.  : )


I added a cozy throw over one end of the couch and changed out the red and white pillows from summer back to the warmer colored plaid ones as well as a few other little fall themed ones.  And on top of the still-waiting-to-be-refinished coffee table is just a simple basket, candle, and hickory nut arrangement.


I kept it really simple because we like to prop our feet up on this in the evenings if we watch TV and sometimes the kids like to eat their lunch here while watching a movie if it's a rainy day.  So I kept it really easy and fuss-free.


On the left end of the couch is my stacked wooden crate end table.  It has a similar look to previous years, but not completely the same.


The little orange lantern is filled with dried bittersweet, and the two fabric rag balls?  They're just some of the leftover strips from all the shower curtains I've been making.  Instead of throwing them away I've just been rolling them up and decided to use them as decor.  : )


Down on the bottom I added some cute little votives and a small pumpkin.  The picture is of Hubby and I when we were expecting our first baby.


On the other end of the couch is my "shipping crate" end table.  The tray arrangement on it is very similar to something I did before, but not exactly the same.  Behind it I brought out my old orange picker's ladder and added a warm colored quilt to it.


I left the bicycle basket in it (you might remember that from the bedside "table" post), and used it as a magazine holder for all my pretty fall covered magazines.


Here's a close up of the tray arrangement.  That's a vintage hankie layered in under there.


The love seat holds another cozy blanket and the two pillows I made last year.  I moved some side tables around put this little step ladder here instead.


It's just perfect for holding a drink, but not collecting clutter.  : )


On top is an aqua canning jar holding one simple fall flower.  On the step down below is a cute frame my sister made me a few years ago, and tucked underneath the ladder is this old drawer.  It fit under there perfectly and I love the way it looks, and I keep thinking I'll find the perfect thing to put in those little dividers, but so far I haven't had any genius ideas on that.  So it's just sitting empty and useless.  But I still like it for some reason.


You might have noticed this arrangement behind the love seat.  I've had this old ironing board here by the front entry way for a couple of months now, but I've never shown it.  (And yes, my baseboards are still only primed and are still awaiting their top coat.)


This was an arrangement that I wasn't 100% happy with, but I was tired of messing with it and deemed it good enough.


The antique mirror was a $1 yard sale find and the wreath came from a Goodwill Outlet store. I'm kinda liking the way it looks hanging over the mirror.


On the other side of the living room, opposite the couch, is the entertainment center monstrosity.  I still don't like this piece of furniture.  It's huge....and it's black.....and it's shiny.... and it shows every particle of dust known to mankind... even after I JUST cleaned it!  It's horrible.  I'm still on the lookout for something else.  Anyways...I kept it simple as well with just a pair of matching berry arrangements and a berry sprig tucked under the TV.


To the left of the black hole is my antique rocking chair.  I added in a $5 Goodwill quilt and another cute fall pillow to make it cozy.  

Well, that about does it.  I've got a few things tucked around the kitchen and dining room, but they still need some tweaking so I'll share them later.

What about you? 
 Have you had time to break out your fall decor yet this year?  Are you still using the traditional warm colors or do you love a more neutral toned down look?

                                                                   

13 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your life and ideas with us!! I love your style and ideas. Sometimes I copy them with my own style. It helps seeing some ideas first...lol Hope you are having a good week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered mounting the flat screen TV to the wall? Then you can get rid of the Black Monstrosity and put something more "you" in it's place. Just a thought. Love the decor...so cute and cozy. You could attach the drawer to the wall above the ironing board at the front door (screw through a side panel) and use it to collect mail and such. Add a couple of cup hooks or your really cool square nails and you can hang your keys there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything! Thank you for sharing your sweet home. I really like your style of decorating. So homey!

    Have a wonderful night...
    ~Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this post if from last year, but I'm drawing inspiration from it for cozy fall decorating. I love the simple touches such as walnuts and a candle in the wire basket. Your home looks very inviting! I haven't been by in a while, but now I'm really glad I decided to visit your "home" again!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

  5. I really appreciate your effort for this work. As by profession i am home decor so this article really helped me once again thanks for sharing. i found exact that stuff on Curtains dubai please checkout blue and red curtains and also add them into your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Blog!Thanks for sharing a lot of useful information in this post.
    Visit us at Carpet Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing a lot of useful information in this post.Keep it up
    Visit ua atSofa Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a Lot To Share This Blog. I really Like it.
    https://dsnews.co.uk/how-to-install-curtains-in-dubai/

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing your life and ideas with us!! I love your style and ideas.
    https://pantheonuk.org/tips-to-install-parquet-flooring/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing worthy farmhouse décor ideas, I really impressed with the worthy piece of information and this information helps me a lot in decorating my farmhouse. For curtains & shutters information you can visit https://fixitcurtain.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...