Monday, September 3, 2012

Shabby Chic Tooth Fairy Box



You may remember last week on Facebook I shared how a friend and I were having a thrift store shopping day and planning to hit all the thrift stores in town.  Well, that morning before we left I was up early and had some extra time to do a little blog hopping.  I happened to visit Craftiments.  I've been on her blog before, but it had been awhile and I just happened to visit it again that morning, and found her post about the Tooth Fairy box she made for her daughter.

(photo courtesy of Craftiments.com)

I thought it was a really creative use of a box that I never would have looked twice at (which she says used to be a music box by the way).  I liked the idea of it, but I really didn't give it too much more thought, until......


Just a couple of hours later what should I find sitting on the thrift store shelf?


An almost identical glass box!  What are the odds?  I couldn't believe it!  So, since my sweet girl just turned 5 and will be needing the Tooth Fairy's services before long, I decided to buy it.  And bonus, all the glassware was half off that day so it only cost me .50.


 I wanted to change mine up a bit, so I taped off all the glass parts, and using paint I already had on hand I gave it a makeover.


We tucked in some reindeer moss I had leftover from my topiary project, and we nestled a sweet pink daisy on top.  
Now it fits in just perfectly in her pink Shabby Chic room.

I hadn't originally intended to "shabby" it up, BUT...see this section of chipped paint here?


It's the hinge area on the back of the lid and it was such a tight fit that no matter how many times I tried to fix it, and no matter how long I let the paint dry it still rubbed off.  There were other areas of white paint that had come off as well when I removed all the tape.  Instead of trying to fix it and make it perfect looking, which I never would have been able to do, I decided to use some antique gold Rub N' Buff to help the chipped up areas blend in a little better and give it a nice worn look without it being too "chippy."




So now, when she loses that first precious tooth she'll just open up her box, place the tooth right in the center of the flower, close it up and wait for the magic to happen.


The next morning when she wakes up.....


Her prize will be awaiting her.


I love being able to transform the old and the overlooked into something new and beautiful and unique.  


Since I had most of what I needed already on hand this was an El Cheapo project!  Just the way I like it.  The only thing we had to purchase was the gerber daisy, so that gave us a grand total of $1.70 for this Shabby Chic Tooth Fairy Box.


Seeing as she won't be needing it just yet, and since we have a 2 year old little hooligan with accident proned fingers running around, it's going to rest safely up on her shelf and out of reach for now.


Thank you, Kirsten, for the inspiration for such a fun and creative project.


So, now it's your turn.  
Have you ever made something to aid in the "magic" of traditions for your children?

I'd love to hear about it.

(If you'd like to see more of her Shabby Chic room you can look through past posts {here})

                                       


Sharing over at:

13 comments:

  1. Aww, how sweet! I admit, I did look at that box and wonder what on earth you could use it for. You have rescued it beautifully. :) (I wonder what the original intent for those boxes was?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo! Pretty!
    Rub-n-buff? I wouldn't have thought to use that but it's the perfect touch for that shabby look. A sweet little project for a sweet little girl. Surely she thinks you are the coolest mom in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is certainly a VERY nifty idea!! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet~ Would love for you to share over at http://www.carterscottage.net/ My Monday Muse!
    Christie

    PS found you on FB :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This project turned out so cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks great with a little shabby touch! Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very cute idea that you made even more cute. I love the shabby white with the pretty pink flower inside. Your daughter is going to not feel too badly about losing a tooth knowing this pretty box will be holding a nice surprise. Good job!-------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you are creating things to add to the magic of your kids childhoods. What fun. That is a really cute idea!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. woow.that´s a great job :)
    and do not miss......

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a super cute makeover, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...